Flagler scores eight on their way to the elite eight

Flagler scores eight on their way to the elite eight

ST. AUGUSTINE – No. 3 (United Soccer Coaches Division II Top 25) Flagler College unleashed an offensive attack in an 8-2 defeat of Wingate University Friday night at Saints Field in a NCAA Division II Women's Soccer Championship third round match.

Flagler (22-0-1), the top seed in the region, claimed its first-ever Southeast Region title with the victory. The Saints advance to Sunday's national quarterfinal match against the South Region champion, Nova Southeastern University (17-3-2), who edged Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, 2-1, earlier in the afternoon. The kickoff on Sunday is at 2 p.m. and the winner goes to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to play in the final four.

"I didn't see that score line coming, but the players fully deserve it," said head coach Ashley Martin. "Going 10 days without playing the team was hungry, ready to play, and ready to score goals tonight."

The Saints wasted little time getting on the board as Sara Sandberg scored the first of her two goals of the night just three minutes into the contest. Her second tally, and her team-leading 25th of the season, came in the 33rd minute as Annie Habeeb set Sandberg up with a cross.

Six minutes prior to Sandberg's second goal was Brin Wexler chipping the keeper. Sandberg lofted a pass to Charlene Nowotny and Abbey Frail came way off her line and unintentionally deflected the ball to Wexler.

Trailing 3-0, Wingate (15-5-2) got its first goal from Brianna Ditillo who headed in a pass from Kristen DiBiase in the 38th minute.

Maria Castorino Mujica added another goal for the Saints, off a free kick, with a little over two minutes before the half.    

Habeeb, Liz Hall, Josefine Nilsen, and Wexler added second half goals for Flagler.

Sarah-Lisa Dubel recorded five saves for the Saints and gave way in the second half to Nadia Fung and Madison North. Frail recorded five saves for the Bulldogs.

Wingate had to play a man down due to a red card (second yellow) three minutes before the half. In the 74th minute, a second Wingate player received a second yellow and the Bulldogs were down two players.

Flagler out-shot Wingate 20-12 and held a 13-8 advantage in shots on goal. The Bulldogs had four corner kicks while the Saints had one.